Mead is rich in local history. Platted on February 16, 1906 and incorporated on March 17, 1908, the Town of Mead was named for Dr. Martin Luther Mead by his son, Paul Martin Mead, who founded the town. The original community was centralized at Highlandlake (founded in 1871-72), but the Great Western Railroad announced they were bypassing Highlandlake and instead laying track a full mile east, on what is now Mead, Colorado. After its inception, the town was a bustling community for almost thirty years, complete with general stores, saloons, filling stations and more. When the Great Depression hit, most of the businesses in Mead were lost and residents began to do business in the neighboring city of Longmont.